What is social media?
According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, social media is a form of electronic communication (as Web sites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos).
Here is a list of social media sites that you can use in your classroom. If there are any that are not on this list, please let us know on the contact page.
- Facebook is the biggest social media network on the Internet for connecting people from all over the world
- Twitter is a social media network that makes use of the 140 character limit to pass on information
- Google+ is social media network similar to Facebook and Twitter, used to create communities with others on Google+
- Google Classroom is a blended learning platform developed by Google for schools that aims to simplify creating, distributing and grading assignments in a paperless way
- YouTube is the largest and most popular video-based social media website
- Pinterest is a digital bulletin boards where one can pin their content
- Instagram is where users can post images about travel, fashion, food, art and similar subjects and is distinguished by its unique filters together with video and photo editing features
- Tumblr is a blog site that allows several different post formats, including quote posts, chat posts, video and photo posts as well as audio posts, so you are never limited in the type of content that you can share
- Flickr is an online image and video hosting platform that was acquired by Yahoo and is popular with users who share and embed photographs
- Reddit is a social news and entertainment networking website where registered users can submit content such as direct links and text posts and are able to organize and determine a submission’s position on the site’s pages by voting submissions up or down
- Snapchat – an image messaging application software product
- Periscope – a live video streaming mobile app
Banner image received from: howtostartablogonline.net/socialmedia